Saturday, October 22, 2011

Where Good Ideas Come From

I'm reading Steven Johnson's book, Where Good Ideas Come From.  Fascinating!

This is a well researched and thoughtful book.  (Useful research for my own project too.)  So far I particularly like the discussion of Darwin's process in thinking through The Origin of Species and the development of GPS.  I find the rebuttal to the Heroic Lone Designer theory interesting too.  I'm pretty sure he's right, it IS the network of seemingly random information and people that enable creativity.  It needs a little chaos.  Yet not too much.  There are some fascinating examples of the ways and means of insight and inspiration.

A link to the author's TED talk: here.  (If you haven't discovered the TED talks... Do so now!)  Or see Bill Gate's book report on the book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment