Sunday, September 18, 2011

Perfect Word and Project Gutenberg

I was saddened to read that Michael Hart, eBook inventor and founder of the visionary literary quest Project Gutenberg, has died.

One obituary called him "an unreasonable man" after George Bernard Shaw's definition: "Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.  Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.  All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

I have great respect for Project Gutenberg's goal to make public domain books available on the internet for anyone - for free.  Thanks to Mr. Hart, everywhere I go, I can take Michel de Montaigne and the White Rabbit with me.  I'm grateful.

Images are public domain - the White Rabbit courtesy of Project Gutenberg

(Read more at Boing Boing and at Project Gutenberg's obituary of Michael Hart.)

No comments:

Post a Comment