Friday, March 23, 2012

Film Fest - Commercials

I don't know about you, but I'm irritated at having to sit through commercials in a movie theater before I see the "Coming Attractions" (themselves commercials), before getting to see the film I paid for.  I'm really irritated by commercials and pre-views on DVDs I rent or buy.  Especially when they're rigged so I can't skip them, but can only fast-forward through.

But once the movie starts I REALLY don't want more commercials!

Last night I watched Real Steel, the Hugh Jackman rock'em-sock'em battlebot flick.  It was entertaining, if unoriginal, but then sports movie cliches become cliches because they work.  So I rooted for the "good" robot Bruiser from the Wrong Side of the Tracks, and the Kid, and the Failed Athlete Making a Comeback, and the Faithful Girlfriend Who Still Believes...  Hugh Jackman is always worth watching and the other actors were appealing.  Action scenes were exciting, which was what was required.  So I enjoyed the film.

Real Steel, image from the L.A. Times review

Except for the Really Obvious Product Placements.

Really guys?  Did you filmmakers have to shill for Dr Pepper, HP, Sprint, Cadillac, etc.?

A good review at the LA Times HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment