Sunday, January 15, 2012

Truth, Lies, Stories, and Fiction

I just finished rereading Michael Chabon's Maps & Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Border Lands.

A thoughtful book by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Wonder Boys (a good movie too).  Chabon is one of those writers whose career I follow.  (And whose books I buy, even sometimes in hardback - true fan-love.)  I really do love Chabon's mix of straightforward and fabulous fiction, the layering of myth and tall-tale that is characteristic of his writing.  These essays are fascinating discussions of the tangle of truth, lies, magician's sleight of hand, and curious exploration on the unmarked areas of the map that create fiction writing.

I'd say this book is a good-read for any serious reader of fiction, especially fantasy, and a must-read for any aspiring writer of the same.

First edition cover borrowed from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment