Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gotta Love Gutenberg

I was showing off my e-book reader to someone considering getting one herself.  I'd always thought I'd be one of the last literate people on the planet to get an electronic reader... but I'm not.  And I love this gizmo.  Why?

Mostly because of Project Gutenberg.  This on-line library is, I believe, the first and biggest effort to get the world's public domain literature on-line for free.  It's wonderful.  It's comprehensive.  It's worthwhile.  It's filled with wonders: Shakespeare, Austen, Twain, great writers you've never heard of, historical curiosities...  It's like Literature's attic.  Visit.  Download a classic.  And consider donating money or time to helping this cause.
photo borrowed from publicdomainpictures.net

No comments:

Post a Comment