Monday, March 21, 2011

Film Fest and Period Decor

Just watched Nowhere Boy, a biopic about John Lennon's teen years, ending just as he goes off to Hamburg for the Beatles' first big gig.  I'm not a huge fan of biography - written or filmed - but this was interesting.  The lead actor did a good job, I thought, as did the actresses playing the two sisters, his mother and the aunt who raised him.  That triangle was the heart of the story... the Beatles really just a by-the-way.

I got a little sidetracked from the story though, enjoying the production design of the two contrasting households: the lively, floral, red-background wallpaper of the mother's house, with its cheerfully clashing furnishings - versus the cooler, grayer, much more controlled and balanced-looking decor of the aunt's house.  (With great '40s period suburban-pseudo-Tudor paneling!  I always think of it as "Pseudor" - a lame joke I bet one interior designer in a thousand might actually catch.  I have a shameful affection for fake Tudor and Gothic.  But I'm thinking about a 12 step program to kick that habit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment