Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Books, Books, Books

After a trip to the library, I'm swimming in new books!

So far I've read or sampled quite a few.  (Ever noticed how a book that fascinates at the library or bookstore dwindles to so-so when you read it?  A few of those.)  Among these tomes are:

The Murder Room by Michael Capuzzo.  I heard the author interviewed on NPR, so when I saw the book on the "New Arrivals" shelf I grabbed it.  The true-life-and-crime story of a detective club of the world's greatest murder investigators and the cold cases they solve.  Darkly fascinating - NOT a book to read at lunch or just before bed!

Though I enjoyed (not the right word somehow) the book, the writing...  Stories were chopped up to add suspense and make you read another two chapters - which I found maddening - and the prose blushed purple at times, with a weird pulp-ish tone as it described the main characters' lives ...  Nevertheless, an absorbing read.

the mesh by Lisa Gansky.  A business/social trend book about businesses springing up where users share resources rather than each buying their own, businesses dependent on the internet and social media for their organization - like Netflix, Zipcar, or Kickstarter.  Interesting, though I'm not quite sure how this is qualitatively different from the lending libraries Jane Austen patronized in 1800.  Talking of tone - this book is written with that plain, flat, 'nilla wafer prose that bores me to tears.

Hollywood: a Third Memoir by Larry McMurtry.  I'm kinda flipping through this for the Hollywwood writer stories.  I'm not a big McMurtry fan.  Even Lonesome Dove, which I came to love, took me 300 pages to get into.

The Elephant to Hollywood, by Michael Caine.  Working through this one.  A nice lively tone - I bet he'd be fun at a dinner party, though a bit thick with the name-dropping.

In between all this I've read a few scripts (so-so, one interesting) and reread The Unstrung Harp by Edward Gorey.  It's worth hunting down!  A hilarious take on the writing of a novel.  One novelist I admire says she reads it after finishing each book and I see why - a perfect tonic for the artist in that frazzled-yet-elated stage when you've just finished a project.  I recommend this book highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment